Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Reflective Researcher

The story of this blog (and of my life) is that I start things and lay them aside with alarming regularity. One of these is this blog that I have kept on and mainly off since 2005. Many things happened to derail me: My dad died in 2006 and the last post before he died was about him being sick and me being scared. I couldn't write anything anymore after that... The blog morphed into a no-fuss travelogue for our trip to India in 2008. That was good and removed from real life and therefore untainted.
I picked up the blog again after I gave birth to share what I learned with a pregnant friend of mine... who subsequently lost her baby very near to full term... I couldn't write anything after that, either, nothing that mattered, anyway.
But now that time has worn the jagged, splinty corners off the grief somewhat (somewhat), maybe it's time to write again. My friends have scattered all over the world, or are not so far, but might as well be a world away. I read their blogs or Facebook posts avidly. And I'd like to contribute a way for them of keeping in touch with me and for me to keep learning from my experiences (good or bad). Donald Schön wrote that reflecting is the way to learn from experience, that we reflect on our actions and by becoming good at this, end up reflecting IN action. "We become reflective researchers in situations of uncertainly, instability, uniqueness and conflict" (Schön, 1983) - and what is life if not uncertainty, instability, uniqueness and conflict?

2 comments:

  1. Great quote. Glad to see you blogging :). I've been pretty surprised, myself, with how much I've realized through writing my own blog, even if it is primarily about silly kid activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I struggle to maintain a blog and keep getting side-tracked by other stuff. Here's wishing you the very best of luck getting yours back up.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete